A beautiful 15th century hall set in spectacular gardens
in the centre of the Lake District
The ancient part of the
house is typical of all houses of the kind in the district. The
big east wing built about 1710, (although built in the time of
William and Mary, is really more like the period of Charles
Several of the bedrooms have “powder closets”.
Also kept in them were the “night stools” which took the
place in those days of water closets. The cupboard in the small
panelled lounge was once a bread oven. There is also a beam of
wood, which can be drawn out from the wall and inserted into a
niche in the opposite side of the main front door. A precaution
against intruders, very necessary being so near the Scottish
border. There is also one at Holmewell, which was the home farm
of the Rawlinsons.